The Rt. Hon. Sir Edward Heath KG MBE
Sir Edward was born in 1916 at Broadstairs, Kent, and educated at Chatham House Grammar School in Ramsgate and Balliol College, Oxford, before serving in the Royal Artillery at home and in Europe during World War 2, and later in the Honourable Artillery Company.
He entered Parliament in 1950 as MP for Bexley, serving in the Conservative Governments from 1951 to 1964 as (successively) a Whip, Chief Whip, Minister of Labour, Lord Privy Seal at the Foreign Office, and Secretary of State for Industry, Trade and Regional Development.
Sir Edward served under Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Mr Harold Macmillan and Sir Alec Douglas-Home, and was Leader of the Conservative Party for 10 years between 1965 and 1975, and serving as Prime Minister from 1970 to 1974, during which he signed the Treaty of Accession in Brussels. He continued to sit in the House of Commons for his constituency, Old Bexley and Sidcup, up to his retirement in 2001, becoming Father of the House from 1992 to 2001.
HM The Queen appointed him a Knight of the Garter in 1992.
Sir Edward's many active interests included a deep involvement and love of music, collecting pictures and other objets d'art, and sailing, especially ocean racing. These activities are all represented in his home at Arundells. He wanted the public to be able to share his enjoyment of it, and he laid upon his Trustees as their primary duty the task of preserving and conserving Arundells and its associated amenities for this purpose. The Trustees are also authorised to use the estate for preserving his papers and making them available to historians and researchers, for the advancement of music, and for setting up scholarships and awards to encourage research and education in history, arts or science.
Proceeds from the sale of tickets will be put back into the Foundation for this purpose and to assist in the running of the house.
Sir Edward died in 2005, and his ashes are interred under his commemorative stone on the south side of the Crossing in Salisbury Cathedral.